football

Neymar suffers fresh injury scare ahead of World Cup opener

Sports

Santos confirm calf issue for Neymar, but say forward is expected to be fit for Brazil’s pre-World Cup training camp

Neymar has suffered a new injury scare less than a month before Brazil’s opening match at the FIFA World Cup against Morocco, after the forward was ruled out of a club fixture due to a calf problem.

The 34-year-old Santos FC forward missed Wednesday’s home Copa Sudamericana match against San Lorenzo, though the Brazilian club moved to ease concerns over the severity of the injury.

Santos team doctor Rodrigo Zogaib said the forward would be available for Brazil’s first pre-World Cup training session on May 27.

“Neymar will report to the national team fit or very close to being fit,” Brazilian news outlet O Globo quoted Zogaib as saying. “There is even a chance he could play against Deportivo Cuenca next Tuesday.”

Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 79 goals in 128 international appearances, Neymar last featured for the national team in October 2023, when he suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in a World Cup qualifier against Uruguay.

Since returning to Santos in January last year, the former FC Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain forward has struggled with recurring injuries, scoring 17 goals in 38 appearances across all competitions.

Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti said earlier this week that Neymar’s inclusion in the 26-man World Cup squad was not solely dependent on recent form.

“It was always a physical issue for him,” Ancelotti said. “He played the last few matches consistently. He can improve his physical condition before the first World Cup match. Experience in this type of competition and the affection he has within the group can help create the best atmosphere.”

The FIFA World Cup will be staged across the United States, Mexico and Canada from June 11 to July 19.

Brazil will begin their campaign against Morocco in New Jersey on June 13 before facing Haiti and Scotland in Group C.