KARACHI: The Sindh government has directed authorities to initiate stern action against builders involved in construction of illegal construction of buildings.
A meeting, presided over by Sindh Chief Secretary Syed Mumtaz Ali Shah was held at his office on Monday.
The meeting reviewed the incidents of buildings recently collapsed in Karachi and Sukkur. Commissioner Karachi Iftikhar Shalwani told that people get the NOC for constructing ground plus one but later build five stories illegally.
Zaffar Abbas, Director General, Sindh Building Control Authority, informed that the building, which collapsed in Karachi’s Timber Market area was declared dangerous but the residents were not prepared to vacate it.
Director General told that currently there were 382 dangerous buildings in old city area for which the public had been informed through advertisements.
Chief Secretary directed the DG, SBCA to submit a detailed report about 382 buildings declared dangerous and also initiate action under the law against illegal builders.
The Chief Secretary constituted a committee headed by Commissioner Karachi for preparing rehabilitation plan for the residents of dangerous buildings.
The provincial government would establish Sindh Urban and Regional Master Plan Authority 2020 and the draft of the proposed Authority had been sent to the law department for vetting. Soon after the vetting, the draft of the plan would be submitted to the cabinet and the provincial assembly for approval and legislation.
The officials of local government and planning & development departments gave a detailed presentation on the proposed plan.
The meeting was informed that legislation is required to establish Sindh Urban and Regional Master Plan Authority separately from Sindh Building Control Authority.
Chief Secretary directed the Secretary Local Government Roshan Ali Sheikh to submit the Draft Plan to the Cabinet without further delay.