Eight Schedule of Income Tax Ordinance, 2001 has explained the rules for computing capital gains on listed securities.
Following is the text of Eight Schedule of Income Tax Ordinance, 2001:
1. Manner and basis of computation of capital gains and tax thereon.— (1) Capital gains on disposal of listed securities, subject to tax under section 37A, and to which section 100B apply, shall be computed and determined under this Schedule and tax thereon shall be collected and deposited on behalf of taxpayers by NCCPL in the manner prescribed.
(1A) Capital gains on disposal of units of open ended mutual funds and to which section 100B apply, shall be computed and determined under this Schedule and tax thereon shall be collected and deposited by NCCPL in the prescribed manner:
Provided that second and third proviso in Division VII of Part I of the First Schedule regarding capital gains arising on redemption of securities shall continue to apply.
(1B) Gain or loss arising to persons through trading of future commodity contracts on Pakistan Mercantile Exchange, subject to tax under section 37A and to which section 100B apply, shall be computed and determined under this Schedule and tax thereon shall be collected and deposited on behalf of taxpayers by NCCPL in the manner prescribed.”
(2) For the purpose of sub-rule (1), (1A) and (IB), NCCPL shall develop an automated system.
(3) Central Depository Company of Pakistan Limited shall furnish information as required by NCCPL for discharging obligations under this Schedule:
“Provided that if the said information is not furnished under this sub-rule or sub-rule (3A), NCCPL shall forward the details to the Commissioner who shall exercise powers under the Ordinance to enforce furnishing of the said information including all penalty provisions.”
“(3A)The Asset Management Companies, Pakistan Mercantile Exchange and any other person shall furnish information when required by NCCPL for discharging obligations under this Schedule.”
(4) NCCPL shall issue an annual certificate to the taxpayer on the prescribed form in respect of capital gains subject to tax under this Schedule for a financial year:
Provided that on the request of a taxpayer or if required by the Commissioner, NCCPL shall issue a certificate for a shorter period within a financial year.
(5) Every taxpayer shall file the certificate referred to in sub-rule (4) along with the return of income and such certificate shall be conclusive evidence in respect of the income under this Schedule.
(6) NCCPL shall furnish to the Board within forty-five days of the end of each quarter, a statement of capital gains and tax computed thereon in that quarter in the prescribed manner and format.
(7) Capital gains computed under this Schedule shall be chargeable to tax at the rate applicable in Division VII of Part I of the First Schedule.
“(8) The provisions of section 4B shall apply to the taxpayers under this schedule and taxed at the rates specified in Division IIA of Part I of the First Schedule.”
2. Sources of Investment.— (1)Where a person has made any investment in the listed securities, enquiries as to the nature and source of the amount invested shall not be made for any investment made prior to the introduction of this Schedule, provided that —
(a) a statement of investments is filed with the Commissioner along with the return of income and wealth statement for tax year 2012 within the due date as provided in section 118 of this Ordinance and in the manners prescribed; and
(b) that the amount remains invested for a period of forty- five days upto 30th of June 2012, in the manner as may be prescribed.
(2) Where a person has made any investment in the shares of a public company traded at a registered stock exchange in Pakistan from the date of coming into force of this Schedule till June 30, 2014, enquiries as to the nature and sources of amount invested shall not be made provided that —
(a) the amount remains invested for a period of one hundred and twenty days in the manner as may be prescribed ;
(b) tax on capital gains, if any, has duly been discharged in the manner laid down in this Schedule; and
(c) a statement of investments is filed with the Commissioner along with the return of income and wealth statement for the relevant tax year within the due date as provided in section 118 of this Ordinance and in the manner prescribed.
(3) For the purpose of this rule, amount of investment shall be calculated in the prescribed manner, excluding market value of net open sale position in futures and derivatives, if such sale is in a security that constitutes the said investment.
3. Certain provisions of this Ordinance not to apply.— The respective provisions for collection and recovery of tax, advance tax and deduction of tax at source laid down in the Parts IV and V of Chapter X shall not apply on the income from capital gains subject to tax under this Schedule and these provisions shall apply in the manner as laid down in the rules made under this Ordinance, except where the recovery of tax is referred by NCCPL to the Board in terms of rule 6(3).
4. Payment of tax collected by NCCPL to the Board.— The amount collected by NCCPL on behalf of the Board as computed in the manner laid down under this Schedule shall be deposited in a separate bank account with National Bank of Pakistan and the said amount shall be paid to the Board along with interest accrued thereon on yearly basis by July 31st next following the financial year in which the amount was collected.
5. Persons to whom this Schedule shall not apply.— If a person intends not to opt for determination and payment of tax as laid down in this Schedule, he shall file an irrevocable option to NCCPL after obtaining prior approval of the Commissioner in the manner prescribed. In such case the provisions of rule 2 shall not apply.
6. Responsibility and obligation of NCCPL.— (1) Pakistan Revenue Automation Limited (PRAL), a company incorporated under the Companies Act, 2017 (XIX of 2017) or any other company or firm approved by the Board and any authority appointed under section 209 of this Ordinance, not below the level of an Additional Commissioner Inland Revenue, shall conduct regular system and procedural audits of NCCPL on quarterly basis to verify the implementation of this Schedule and rules made under this Ordinance.
(2) NCCPL shall implement the recommendations, if any, of the audit report under sub-rule (1), as approved by the Commissioner, and make adjustments for short or excessive deductions. However, no penal action shall be taken against NCCPL on account of any error, omission or mistake that has occurred from application of the system as audited under sub-rule (1).
(3) NCCPL shall be empowered to refer a particular case for recovery of tax to the Board in case NCCPL is unable to recover the amount of tax.
7. Transitional Provisions.— In respect of tax year 2012, for the period commencing from coming into force of this Schedule till June 30, 2012, the certificate issued by NCCPL under rule 1(4) shall be the basis of capital gains and tax thereon for that period.
(Disclaimer: The text of above section is only for information. Team PkRevenue.com makes all efforts to provide the correct version of the text. However, the team PkRevenue.com is not responsible for any error or omission.)