KARACHI: Business community on Wednesday rejected the extension in lockdown till July 15, 2020 by the Sindh government and said that procedures should be laid down to allow business activities.
Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) said urged the provincial government to withdraw the notification immediately.
In a statement Siraj Kassem Teli, chairman Businessmen Group and former president KCCI and Agha Shahab president KCCI rejected the extension in lockdown.
Sinch March 23, 2020 the Sindh government imposed partial lockdown to prevent spread of coronavirus. At least 213,467 confirmed cases of coronavirus have been reported up to July 01, 2020 in the country. Besides, the pandemic claimed 4,395 lives to date.
The KCCI said that restaurants, marriage halls, beauty parlors, cinemas etc. were shut for the last four months and their business were almost on verge of collapse.
They said that due to the continuous lockdown these businesses would close down and it would result in mass unemployment.
They urged the provincial government to allow opening of all businesses with strict Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). They said that if through administrative measure an effective lockdown had been imposed then why not in case of implementing the SOPs.
The provincial government should realize problems of business community and resolve those on priority basis.