Cristiano Ronaldo becomes first player selected for six FIFA World Cups as Portugal finalize squad
Cristiano Ronaldo is set to lead Portugal at his sixth FIFA World Cup after being named in the national squad by head coach Roberto Martinez.
The selection makes Ronaldo the first player in football history to be called up for six World Cup tournaments.
Speaking at Cidade do Futebol, Martinez confirmed the squad arrangements ahead of the tournament and said fourth-choice goalkeeper Ricardo Velho would travel with the team as a standby option in case of injury to the three registered goalkeepers.
Martinez described the squad as “27 players plus one,” in an emotional tribute to late Portugal forward Diogo Jota, who died in a car accident in July last year at the age of 28.
“He is our strength, our joy,” Martinez said. “Losing Diogo was an unforgettable and very difficult moment, but the very next day it was up to all of us to fight for Diogo’s dream and for the example he always set in our national team.”
“Diogo Jota’s spirit, strength and example are the +1 and will always be the +1,” he added.
The Portugal coach defended his decision to include four goalkeepers and five fullbacks in the squad while leaving out players such as Mateus Fernandes, Ricardo Horta, and Pedro Goncalves.
Martinez said the demands of the tournament, including weather conditions and time zone adjustments, required additional depth in certain positions.
Portugal are scheduled to play warm-up matches against Chile in Oeiras on June 6 and Nigeria in Leiria on June 10 before departing for their training camp in Palm Beach, Florida.
FIFA regulations require teams to arrive at their official training bases at least five days before their opening World Cup fixture.
Ronaldo’s inclusion extends a record-breaking international career that has already seen him become Portugal’s all-time leading scorer and one of the most decorated players in football history.