Following is the text of Section 23 of Income Tax Ordinance, 2001:
23. Initial allowance.—(1) A person who places an eligible depreciable asset into service in Pakistan for the first time in a tax year shall be allowed a deduction (hereinafter referred to as an “initial allowance”) computed in accordance with sub-section (2), provided the asset is used by the person for the purposes of his business for the first time or the tax year in which commercial production is commenced, whichever is later.
(2) The amount of the initial allowance of a person shall be computed by applying the rate specified in Part II of the Third Schedule against the cost of the asset.
(3) The rules in section 76 shall apply in determining the cost of an eligible depreciable asset for the purposes of this section.
(4) A deduction allowed under this section to a leasing company or an investment bank or a modaraba or a scheduled bank or a development finance institution in respect of assets owned by the leasing company or the investment bank or the modaraba or the scheduled bank or the development finance institution and leased to another person shall be deducted only against the leased rental income derived in respect of such assets.
(a) any road transport vehicle unless the vehicle is plying for hire;
(b) any furniture, including fittings;
(c) any plant or machinery that has been used previously in Pakistan; or
(d) any plant or machinery in relation to which a deduction has been allowed under another section of this Ordinance for the entire cost of the asset in the tax year in which the asset is acquired.
23B. Accelerated depreciation to alternate energy projects.— (1) Any plant, machinery and equipments installed for generation of alternate energy by an industrial undertaking set up anywhere in Pakistan and owned and managed by a company shall be allowed first year allowance in lieu of initial allowance under section 23, at the rate specified in Part II of the Third Schedule against the cost of the eligible depreciation assets put to use after first day of July, 2009.
(2) The provisions of section 23 except sub-sections (1) and (2) thereof, shall mutatis mutandis apply.
(Disclaimer: The text of above section is only for information. Team PkRevenue.com makes all efforts to provide the correct version of the text. However, the team PkRevenue.com is not responsible for any error or omission.)