Following is the text of Sections 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 of Income Tax Ordinance, 2001:
238. Repeal. — The Income Tax Ordinance, 1979 (XXXI of 1979), shall stand repealed on the date this Ordinance comes into force in pursuance of sub-section (3) of section 1.
239. Savings. —(1) Subject to sub-section (2), in making any assessment in respect of any income year ending on or before the 30th day of June, 2002, the provisions of the repealed Ordinance in so far as these relate to computation of total income and tax payable thereon shall apply as if this Ordinance had not come into force.
(2) The assessment, referred to in sub-section (1), shall be made by an income tax authority which is competent under this Ordinance to make an assessment in respect of a tax year ending on any date after the 30th day of June, 2002, and in accordance with the procedure specified in section 59 or 59A or 61 or 62 or 63, as the case may be, of the repealed Ordinance.
(3) The provisions of sub-sections (1) and (2) shall apply, in like manner, to the imposition or charge of any penalty, default surcharge or any other amount, under the repealed Ordinance, as these apply to the assessment, so however that procedure for such imposition or charge shall be in accordance with the corresponding provisions of this Ordinance.
(4) Any proceeding under the repealed Ordinance pending on the commencement of this Ordinance before any income tax authority, the Appellate Tribunal or any Court by way of appeal, reference, revision or prosecution shall be continued and disposed of as if this Ordinance has not come into force.
(5) Where the period prescribed for any application, appeal, reference or revision under the repealed Ordinance had expired on or before the commencement of this Ordinance, nothing in this Ordinance shall be construed as enabling such application, appeal, reference or revision to be made under this Ordinance by reason only of the fact that a longer period is specified or provision for an extension of time in suitable cases by the appropriate authority.
(6) Any proceeding for prosecution in respect of an assessment for an income year ending on or before the 30th day of June 2002 shall be taken and continued as if this Ordinance has not come into force.
(7) Any income tax, super tax, surcharge, penalty, default surcharge, or other amount payable under the repealed Ordinance may be recovered under this
Ordinance, but without prejudice to any action already taken for the recovery of the amount under the repealed Ordinance.
(8) Any election or declaration made or option exercised by any person under any provision of the repealed Ordinance and in force immediately before the commencement of this Ordinance shall be treated as an election or declaration made, or option exercised under the corresponding provisions, if any, of this Ordinance.
(9) Anything done or action taken under the repealed Ordinance in so far as it is not inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance shall, without prejudice to anything already done or any action already taken, be treated as having been done or taken under this Ordinance.
(10) Any agreement entered into, appointment made, approval given, recognition granted, direction, instruction, notification, notice, order or rule issued or made under any provision of the repealed Ordinance and in force or valid at the commencement of this Ordinance shall, so far as it is not inconsistent with the corresponding provision of this Ordinance or any agreement, appointment entered into, approval given, recognition granted, direction, instruction, notification, notice, order or rule issued or made under this Ordinance, be treated as entered into, made, given, granted or issued, as the case may be, under that corresponding provision and shall unless revoked, cancelled or repealed by, or under, this Ordinance, continue in force accordingly.
(11) Any appointment, act of authority or other thing made or done by any authority or person and subsisting or in force at the commencement of this Ordinance which would have been made or done under any substantially corresponding provision of this Ordinance by any authority or person other than the one specified in the repealed Ordinance, or in any manner other than as specified in the repealed Ordinance shall continue in force and have effect as if it has been made or done under the corresponding provision of this Ordinance by the authority or person, or in the manner specified in the corresponding provision as if such provision had been in force when it was made or done.
(12) Any notification issued under section 50 of the repealed Ordinance and in force on the commencement of this Ordinance shall continue to remain in
force, unless amended, modified, cancelled or repealed by, or under, this Ordinance.
(13) The authority which issued any notification, notice, direction or instruction, or made any rule, agreement or appointment, or granted any approval or recognition, referred to in sub-sections (10) and (12), shall have the power to amend, modify, cancel or repeal any such notification, notice, direction, instruction, rule, agreement, appointment, approval or recognition.
(14) Any yield from National Saving Schemes of Directorate of National Savings where investment was made on or before 30th June, 2001 and any income derived from Mahana Amdani Account where monthly instalment does not exceed one thousand rupees shall continue to remain exempt and any person paying such yield or income shall not deduct tax under section 151 therefrom and the recipient of such yield or income shall not be required to produce an exemption certificate under section 159 in support of the said exemption.
(15) Section 107AA of the repealed Ordinance shall continue to apply until the 30th day of June, 2002.
(16) The Income Tax Rules made under the repealed Ordinance, on the valuation of perquisites shall continue to apply in respect of any income year ending on or before the 30th day of June 2002.
(17) Item 8(5)(h) of the Third Schedule to the repealed Ordinance shall continue to apply to assets covered by the item.
239A. Transition to Federal Board of Revenue.—Any reference to the Central Board of Revenue, wherever occurring, in this Ordinance and the rules made thereunder and Notifications, Orders, or any other instrument issued thereunder shall be construed as a reference to the Federal Board of Revenue on the commencement of the Federal Board of Revenue Act, 2007.
239B. Reference to authorities.— (1) Any reference to the Regional Commissioner of Income Tax, Commissioner of Income Tax, Commissioner of Income Tax (Appeals) and Taxation Officer, wherever occurring, in this Ordinance and the rules made thereunder and in any other law in force at the time of promulgation of this Ordinance and notifications, orders, circulars or clarifications or any instrument issued thereunder shall be construed as reference to the Chief Commissioner Inland Revenue, Commissioner Inland Revenue, Commissioner Inland Revenue (Appeals) and officer of Inland Revenue, respectively.
240. Removal of difficulties.—(1) Subject to sub-section (2), if any difficulty arises in giving effect to any of the provisions of this Ordinance, the Federal Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, make such order, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance, as may appear to it to be necessary for the purpose of removing the difficulty.
241. Validation.—(1) All notifications and orders issued and notified, in exercise of the powers conferred upon the Federal Government, before the commencement of Finance Act, 2017 shall be deemed to have been validly issued and notified in exercise of those powers.
(2) Notwithstanding any omission, irregularity or deficiency in the establishment, or conferment of powers and functions, of the Directorate-General (Intelligence and Investigation), Inland Revenue and authorities specified in section 230, all orders passed, notices issued and actions taken in exercise or purported exercise of the powers and functions of the Commissioner under this Ordinance by the Directorate-General (Intelligence and Investigation), Inland Revenue or the authorities specified in section 230 shall be deemed to have been validly passed, issued and taken under this Ordinance.
242. Benefits of repealed provisions.— The existing beneficiaries of exemptions or concessionary provisions of the Ordinance, already expired or expiring, on thirtieth day of June, 2021 or repealed by Tax Laws (Second Amendment) Ordinance, 2021 shall continue to enjoy benefits of the repealed provisions for the periods prescribed therein and subject to conditions and limitations specified therein.
(Disclaimer: The text of the above section is only for information. Team PkRevenue.com makes all efforts to provide the correct version of the text. However, the team PkRevenue.com is not responsible for any error or omission.)