ISLAMABAD: Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has notified rules for processing application to avail sales tax exemption on greenfield industry.
The FBR issued SRO 777(I)/2020 to amend Sales Tax Rules 2006 and said that a registered person applying for approval of its industrial undertaking as “Greenfield Industry”, as defined in sub-clause (12A) of section 2 and for exemption under Serial No.150 of the Table –I of Sixth schedule to the Sales Tax Act 1990, shall make an application electronically to the Commissioner Inland Revenue having jurisdiction in the form prescribed in Annexure-I along with documents prescribed in Annexure-II of this Chapter.
The registered person shall also submit a hard copy of the prescribed application to the Commissioner Inland Revenue for the purposes of approval under sub-clause (12A) of section 2 and Serial No.150 of Table-I of Sixth Schedule to the Sales Tax Act, 1990 along with all the documents required under this Chapter.
Processing of applications by the Commissioner
(1) On receipt of an application under rule 158B, the Commissioner Inland Revenue may make such inquiries or call for such further information or documents as deemed necessary.
(2) After scrutiny of the application and the documents annexed thereto, the Commissioner Inland Revenue shall, forward the application to the Engineering Development Board, Government of Pakistan hereinafter referred to as “EDB” in this Chapter, for seeking its expert opinion as to whether the process or technology being employed by the said industrial undertaking is or is not already under use in Pakistan.
(3) Upon receipt of application forwarded by Commissioner Inland Revenue, the EDB shall process the same within the time stipulated by him and communicate its expert opinion / findings with regard to the query raised in sub-rule (2) tothe Commissioner Inland Revenue.
Approval of the application:
(1)After completion of all the formalities, the Commissioner Inland Revenue may, through an order in writing, approve the industrial undertaking for the purposes of sub-clause (12A) of Section 2 of the Act.
(2) The Commissioner Inland Revenue may, after recording the reasons in writing, refuse to grant approval for the purposes of sub-clause (12A) of Section 2 of the Act.
Finalization of Applications. The Commissioner Inland Revenue shall finalize the applications filed under Rule 158B within fifteen days of its receipt.
Appeal against decision of a Commissioner Inland Revenue. Any registered person dissatisfied with the decision of the Commissioner Inland Revenue under Rule 158D may prefer an appeal within sixty days of the receipt of the order to the Appellate Tribunal Inland Revenue under section 46 of the Act.
Procedure for generation and transmission of exemption certificate in the WeBOC. — (1)In case of grant of approval as “Greenfield Industry”, the exemption certificate shall be generated automatically by the IRIS on the basis of the approval as Greenfield industry granted by the Commissioner Inland Revenue.
The exemption certificate shall be automatically transmitted from IRIS to WeBOC as per existing procedure.
Procedure for availing sales tax exemption on import of plant and machinery:
(1) The registered person shall upload a copy of the order of approval as Greenfield Industry already issued by the Commissioner Inland Revenue in WeBOC at the time of preparations of Goods Declaration for the imported plant and machinery.
(2) The registered person shall claim in the Goods Declaration the exemption from sales tax on the imported plant and machinery as per Serial No. 150 of Table-1 of the Sixth Schedule to the Sales Tax Act 1990.